Wednesday, August 12, 2009

300 (TH POST)

Today marks my 300th post! I can't believe it! In honor of this special occasion, I give you images from one of my favorite movies, appropriately titled, "300." (Let me apologize now.) I love this movie because of its rich historical background. It also doesn't hurt that the men (computer-enhanced or not) ran around looking like this.......

This is King Leonidas of Sparta (Greece now). He led a group of 300 men to fight the Persians at the battle of Thermopylae, one of the most famous battles in ancient history. This all took place around 480 BC.
Now, just humor me (this is my blog and this is my 300th post), and let's pretend that the woman on his left in the picture above is me, his wife, OK. Just roll with me and let me have my fun. Though, I would want to change my name. His wife's name was Gorgo. That is just pitiful.

The 300 were a fearless group. And fit too! Yea! They assembled (after consulting the Oracle at Delphi - more on this tomorrow) in an attempt to hold the pass of Thermopylae "against a massive Persian army of up to 280,000 men."

Here is a scene from the movie showing the extent of what the 300 faced. Bad Persians! Bad!


The Spartans were very smart, excellent warriors, and often would fight in formations such as this, protecting as many men as possible while still attacking.
Though they fought very brave and hard, they were not able to hold the Persians back. On the 7th day of fighting, Leonidas and his men were betrayed by the traitor Ephialtes. They lost their lives trying to protect their beloved country. In the end, the whole Spartan army was allowed to enter the fight with the Persians, and they were eventually driven out of Greece.
So, there you have it in a nut shell. One of my favorite movies for my 300th post. I thought it was pretty smart of me to come up with this.
(PS - did I mention that I love the scenery in this movie so much that I can watch it on mute?)

Thanks for reading.


No comments: