Thursday, May 20, 2010

SOUTHERN FRIED THURSDAY - PICKLES

Most Southerners love pickles. We will pickle almost anything....cucumbers (of course), okra, squash, beets, watermelon rind, tomatoes, carrots, eggs (gross), even pigs feet (grosser).
I have done a good bit of canning pickles. But, I wanted to share this quick and easy recipe that makes a really delicious pickle, and there is no hot sterile jars, lids or rings to deal with.

Pickles
1 QT whole Heinz Kosher Dills
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar

that's it!

Rinse pickles in cold water. Wash jar in hot water. Cut dills into 1/2 inch slices and return to jar. Bring sugar, water and vinegar to hard boil. Pour liquid over dills and seal with lid (wipe rim first in case the sticky liquid got on the glass). Let stand until cool. Refrigerate at least one week before eating.

Trust me, they are yummy. I even gave them as Christmas presents to my work friends one year! Enjoy.

No comments: