Monday, March 23, 2009

Can you guess what this is?

Can you? It is not a candle, nor buttermilk. You never will guess....IT IS LARD!

Yep lard! The white solid or semisolid rendered fat of a hog or swine! Yummy! Most of you are probably saying "Gross!" but lard is a staple for good old southern cooking. Great taste added to cornbread, greens, beans, anything really. I had been out of bacon grease for a few months now, not having cooked a lot of bacon recently, and giving Tim the last of my lard stash.

My mom is a genius! She was in Wally World (a gas station in Decatur, not Walmart) getting her a BLT the other day. They make the best BLT's (I think I will get me one tonight). Anyway, they were frying up tons of bacon. She asked what they did with the grease and they said they just throw it away. She then asked if they would save it for her and they agreed. So when I got home the other day, I had about a quart of bacon grease waiting for me! Yea!

Break out the greenbeans! I can now yummy them up! (I can hear my arteries screaming.)

No comments: