Monday, November 3, 2008

Superstition #114

My Friend Jenfer's daughter Kadie is selling RADA knives for a fundraiser for DHS chorus to go to New York. I was glad to hear this because Rachel sold them in 5th grade and I love the ones I bought then. Needless to say I have ordered $70 worth from Kadie (if you are interested let me know - the peeler and tomato slicer are to die for!) I was going to get a set for Jamie as a wedding present, but Lynn said it was bad luck to give knives as presents. Well, you know me, I had to look that up so here it is.

Plus, I love superstitions...I think I will post one a week. (And the number 114 I just made up)

Happy Monday!

Love


"There is a folk lore or a superstition regarding the giving of a knife as a gift. If the knife is given to a friend, money must be exchanged as well. It is considered very bad luck to give someone a knife without exchanging money or the friendship will be cut by the knife. Because of this superstition, it is common that the gift of a knife will be given along with a penny, nickel or dime in the box with the knife so that the recipient can give back the coin, thereby saving the friendship from being severed by the giving of the sharp blade. The exact background of this superstition is unclear yet, even today most people will include a coin with the gift of a knife and request the coin be given back. The apparent view is that it is far better to be safe than sorry. "

No comments: